Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Nice Surprise and My Fishy Valentine

Friday night I was on the computer much, much later than I'm accustomed to. My eyes were burning, but Jes has been writing a blog that kept me captivated and also encouraged me to get this one started, so I got hooked. While I was living in Chile I could never get used to the late hours. Dinner at 9, going out at 11 or 12 and staying out until 5 in the morning. I only managed it once or twice. I love my 10 PM bedtime. But staying up late paid off on Friday because my friend Jennifer, from Chile, found me online. My late hour helped me reconnect because it turned out she was in Boulder, only 15 minutes from me. The next day I drove over to pick her up and visit for an hour. What a nice Valentine's Day surprise!

Then later it was Las Vegas, the mix of crab, salmon and cream cheese, a Tidal Wave of spicy tuna and shrimp tempura and the mild Negihama to fill my stomach the rest of the way. This is what it takes to make me happy. Sushi on Valentine's day has become my annual tradition. My former roommate Alyssa joined me at least once in the past for this tradition but she's living in Maine now. My friend Todd joined me this year and since we didn't have reservations they let us know there would be a 1.5 hour limit on our table. We weren't kicked to the curb early and it was yummy, yummy, yummy.

1 comment:

  1. I got home at almost midnight, WAY too late to have so much energy, so i turned on my computer and: there was SARA, her green light was on. "What is she doing up?" I thought. And clicked on her name. "Are you there?"... Of course she was wondering what I was doing up at almost 4 in the morning Chile time, but, alas, I was only 15 minutes away. "No way." "Way."
    One of my favorite things in life is a successful spontaneous meeting and Sara just happened to be my Valentine's Day present. Loved eating apple strudel in Sara´s neck of the woods, (my original neck of the woods since I was born in Colorado) and there we sat, with tales of Smart English, and imbeciles and the embassy, angry hope, lost passports, flooded floors, Betrayal "maid" in Chile, trading places, returning "home," and finally, happy endings.

    ReplyDelete